Somehow a month has slipped by… but we’ve been making progress on our Auk build in the shed, and have reached a big milestone – we’ve cut the first garboard plank!!! Feels great to get to this stage!
We started with milling all the yellow cedar planking stock, and used the new planer dust collection hood with the vacuum. It was effective in collecting the chips, but the vacuum filled far too quickly! We’ll have to work on that.
The keel got milled and shaped, then epoxied into place. After that, a plywood pattern was put in position, and the first garboard plank was spiled, cut, and shaped.
(click on a photo to show it larger)
Out on the dock, our other project of Enke refinement is coming along nicely – we’ve got her new floor-boards steam bent in place, and have made cleats to fasten them to, to make them easily removable for cleaning.
Enke’s oars have been given a layer of fiberglass to repair some wear from the oarlocks, and the spars have the white tips given a bright fresh coat.
And a couple of videos from Tom and Duane, showing some of the other activities at the dock and on the water.