Last week we steamed the garboard planks, this week we installed them!
After spiling and shaping the planks the previous week, we set up Nick’s steam box and steamed the forward end of the two garboard planks, then clamped them in place with a tight twist at the stem. It worked nicely – amazing what the steam allows us to do!
This week we nailed them in place with copper ring nails, starting at the transom and working forward along the hog, finishing at the stem. The tip of the planks was clamped in place using a specially made caul, carefully fitted to the back of the stem, allowing well-directed clamping pressure. So great to get started on planking!
Enke’s floorboards are getting close to completion – some fine-tuning to get the cleats to fit, and we got a start on the toggles to hold them in place. It’s been nice to have the pop-up tent on the dock for shade from the hot sun.
Our neighbours on the dock Joost and Josje have been busy giving Milo a fresh coat of paint, after having had a bunch of work done on her. Looking great!
Our boats have been providing a lot of enjoyment in the fine summer weather we’ve been having lately! They’re great little boats, and a lot of fun!