Work on the Robert Allan began a couple of weeks ago with removal of the sacrificial keel and some of the centerboard fastenings. Last Saturday, scraping of the interior got underway, in preparation for refinishing. We found the stern knee was badly delaminated, so a new one of black locust will replace it. The centerboard trunk was removed and examined, and will be remade.
We’ve received a couple of updates from the family who bought the Sam Mac, and they’ve been busy repairing her. Thanks for the photos, Kirby!
And, remaining work on the Button Swan has been mapped out.
One of those items includes the word “repair” – yes, even a new boat needs some remedial work sometimes. One of the laminations of the deck didn’t hold, and we found a split joint. Some epoxy and screws should take care of that, and we thought of adding knees underneath for added support, in case the split was stress-induced. All part of the break-in period!